Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Parking brake idea / trailer hitch update

One of the things I have not really liked is there is no park like in normal cars. I have the emergency brake, but I do not feel comfortable with it on a steep hill. The emergency brake only brakes the single wheel in the back, and the car is awful heavy for just the one wheel.
I recently heard about a device used in the racing industry called a "brake line lock" It is an electric solenoid that operates with a switch. You simply press on the brakes and press the button and it locks the brake fluid in the lines maintaining pressure. This would work on all three wheels giving me three times the holding power for a parking brake.
I have sent an e-mail to Green Vehicles to get there opinion on the idea. I think it would be a great improvement on there design with little cost for implementing. I am going to take Mac into a brake place and get an estimate for installation. I can do the wiring, and install the switch, but would rather they do the splicing and bleeding of the brake fluid.

My design for the trailer hitch is coming along fine. I am expecting the hitch tube to arrive tomorrow so I can get this moving. I have been so busy it had been moved to the back burner for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment